Have you ever tried Beef Stroganoff?
This is one of my favourite food (I love almost all of food that I have ever tried, except BIG portion of potatoes) when I visited western restaurant in my country.
Beef Stroganoff is originally from Russia and I’m still wondering where the word “Stroganoff” or might be “Stroganov” come from.
Never mind…. I’ll try to find the answer…or… maybe if you are Russian …or.. having the same hobby as mine (culinary tour) and having information about this food… or… have tried/cooked the original stroganov already…please let me know :)
Few days ago, I tried to cook this creamy fatty but delicious food -some of you may agree with me that most of fatty food are delicious. ;)
I’m happy as it’s easy to get all the ingredients in western country (UK), so I can cook my favourite western food that I used to eat at the restaurant in my city. But it may be a bit hard for my friends in Indonesia to find them, or it must be expensive. I can suggest modified recipe. Of course, don’t expect it will taste like the original.. :)
I’ll post my recipe here using English and Bahasa Indonesia.
1) Beef. 1 box of beef frying steak (300-340 gram). Slice them as big as you want. Well, I just diced and seasoned them with salt-pepper.
Daging sapi, tenderloin atau sirloin, potong dadu kayak kalo bikin semur. Bumbui dengan garam dan merica.
2) A bit vegetable or olive Oil (I chose olive oil) 1-2 tablespoon
Minyak goreng apa aja bisa sih…1-2 sendok aja.
3) Butter 1-2 tablespoon. (I used this butter -from olive oil)
1 atau 2 sendok makan Mentega (pilih yang no trans fat kl mau jaga kesehatan)
4) 3/4 Onion (you can use a half if you don’t really like onion :) )
Bawang bombay. Boleh 1, 1/2, 3/4, suka-suka :)
5) 3-4 ounces of mushroom (you can use chestnut or button mushroom). Don’t forget to slice them :)
Jamur kancing dipotong-potong. Terserah mau seberapa banyak.
6) 2 cloves of garlic (or more if you want) -As an Asian, I believe a dash of garlic can make a difference (tastier!) . Mince them.
2 siung bawang putih, boleh lebih.. sesuai selera. cincang halus.
7) 1/2-1 tablespoon of flour for thickening the sauce.
1/2 - 1 sendok makan tepung.
7) 4 tablespoons of dry red wine
Bisa diganti dengan vinegar/cuka, dikit aja.
8) 300 ml of Beef stock (I used 1 stock cube mixed with 300ml hot water, *you may use only 150ml if you cook for small portion)
Kaldu sapi. Kl sempet, bikin sendiri, kl ga pakai yang ready…asal jangan yg salt dan ber-MSG :D
8) A bit of Worcestershire sauce (1/2 teaspoon)
Kl di Indonesia, saus ini namanya kecap inggris… :p
9) Chives (minced) - as much as you want-
Kucai. Kl gak, pakai daun bawang gapapa meskipun berbeda… Bolehlah di coba…
Garam, sesuai selera.
11) White Pepper (Powder)
Lada yang dihaluskan (merica bubuk)
12) 3/4 cup of crème fraîche (or sour sauce)
Kl susah cari sour cream nya, pakai susu aja. Bukan susu kental manis dan susu coklat. Susu skim boleh dan recommended. Kl mau lebih creamy, ya susu biasa (bikin aja setengah cangkir pakai air anget, tanpa gula, agak kental :)
BEWARE! :D To be honest, I didn’t know exactly how much I put all the ingredients.. I just put them as much as I wanted and used “feeling” ;) -You know, you need “feeling” when you cook…don’t think that cooking gives you such a pressure. For me, cooking is such a mood booster..even though sometime my food is not really tasty :)
1) Stir beef with olive oil until the colour change to brown (until no water on the pan), move them to the another place
Tumis daging sapi dengan minyak goreng, sampai warnanya coklat (biasanya daging akan menghasilkan air, tunggu sampai airnya habis atau tinggal sedikit). Pindah ke mangkok/piring.
2) Use the same pan to stir butter, mushroom, onion, and garlic until you can smell the aroma.
Pakailah wajan yang sama untuk hemat cucian :p Tumis jamur, bawang bombay, bawang putih pakai butter…sampai tercium bau wanginya.
3) Add flour. stir it until mixed.
Tambahkan tepung terigu/maizena.
4) Add stock and red wine. Stir the sauce until thickened.
Tambahkan kaldu sapi dan sedikit cuka. Aduk hingga saus mengental.
5) Put the beef into the pan. Mix with the sauce. Stir and leave them for a while. Stir again until you think it’s ready…-once again, use your feeling-
Masukkan kembali daging sapi. Aduk sampai rata. Boleh ditinggal sebentar. Sekitar 20 menitan sampai daging lunak, aduk lagi sampai seolah-olah udah siap saji.
Don’t move your pan from the stove….
6) Mix with crème fraîche, add chives, salt and pepper. Stir them all together for approximately 2 minutes.
Masukkan krim ke dalam wajan. Tambahkan kucai, garam, dan merica bubuk sesuai selera. Aduk rata selama 1-2 menit.
Serve them with steamed vegetables and your favourite carb. I used spinach, green beans, and sweet carrot, and Thai rice :)
Well, I didn’t take any pics when I cooked..
The picture is belong to my friend, Ivy. She ate this for her lunch, and she loved it. :)
Try my recipe and give me feedback, just if you want.. :D
If you want the original recipe, check this site out » allrecipes.com